Saturday, 14 December 2013

WARNING, GRAPHIC PHOTOS : Woman with face tumour gets transplant

A 26-year-old Polish woman disfigured by a huge tumour has received a new face. Prior to the operation, she struggled to chew, swallow or talk.
Joanna was severely deformed by neurofibromatosis – a genetic condition that causes benign tumours to grow along the nerves.
The condition can also cause bone problems, pressure on the spinal nerves, severe pain, learning disabilities and vision and hearing problems. There is no cure for it.
Although many people who have the condition inherit it from one of their parents, up to 50 per cent develop it randomly from a gene mutation before they are born. Despite their alarming appearance, the growths and swellings - called neurofibromas and caused by a growth of cells - are not cancerous or contagious.
Genetics expert Dr Anand Saggar said the facial tumour will not recur because the skin on her new face is from different genes.

Woman unknowingly pregnant for over 40 years

A Colombian woman who was originally thought to be suffering from a stomach bug was found to have a 40-year-old fetus inside her.
The 82-year-old, from Bogota, had what is known as 'lithopedion', or stone baby, when the unborn child develops outside the womb.
According to NTD, Dr Kemer Ramirez of Bogota's Tunjuelito Hospital said that the doctor overseeing the woman noticed something 'abnormal in her abdomen' - and suspected gallstones.
An ultrasound showed nothing then radiography of her abdomen revealed a tumour in her abdominal cavity.
Dr Ramirez explained: 'This happens because the fetus does not develop in the uterus because it has moved to another place.
'In this case, the abdominal part of the woman is not a viable (place) and this is what happened, a calcified fetus because the body is generating defence mechanisms and it is calcified until it stays there encapsulated.'
The patient is thought to have been transferred to another hospital to have the lithopedion removed.

Brain damaged man locked in a cage for over 40 years

Peng Weiqing, 48, has been in the cage in his mother's home in the city of
Zhengzhou, capital of central China's Henan Province, since the age of six. And while it may seem like an incredibly cruel way to treat your only son, Peng Waimei, says that she did it to protect Weiqing.
Waimei and her late husband locked their son away and have fed him through the bars ever since after a series of health problems as a child.
When Weiqing was still a baby he suffered a high fever, which left him brain-damaged.
'When he was young, quite often he would cut himself with a knife and glass debris.
'Even when walking, he could suddenly fall down and hit his face and make it bleed.
With Weiqing's father now dead and his mother aged 80, Waimei fears for her son when she dies and hopes to find someone to take care of him.

Thursday, 5 December 2013

BREAKING NEWS: MANDELA IS DEAD


This is sad news for Africa and the world in general. Freedom fighter, Mandela Nelson has lost his fight with life. This heartbreaking incident also happens on the day the movie 'Mandela' which is an autobiography about his life is being premiered in the Uk. Rip hero!We'll miss you.
Story still developing..more to come.

Former South African president Mandela on death bed and still fighting

Ailing former South African President Nelson Mandela spent almost three months in a Pretoria hospital after being admitted in June with a recurring lung infection.The 95-year-old liberation struggle icon was discharged in September and has been receiving home-based medical attention since then.
'Mandela is not doing well' but is continuing to put up a courageous fight from his 'deathbed', according to his family..His daughter, Makaziwe Mandela, told the South African Broadcasting Corporation in an interview: 'Tata is still with us, strong, courageous. Even for a lack of a better word .... on his `deathbed' he is teaching us lessons; lessons in patience, in love, lessons of tolerance.

UPDATE: ASUU not budging to sack threats by government

Although the government has given an ultimatum to all striking lecturers and issued a sack threat if the deadline is not met, the lecturers have all remained unshaken. They say that until the government does what its supposed to do,they'll stand their ground.
"We shall bow only to what we as academics are convinced will serve the interest of Nigeria and its people, no matter their ethnic, religious or class origins. This is where we stand we shall never be cowed.

Justifying government's plans to sack lecturers, the Public Relations Officer, National Universities Commission, Mallam Ibrahim Yakassai said: "Federal Government has every right to sack ASUU if the union is being unreasonable, just the same way your employer has the right to sack you.
"Government would be justified in sacking lecturers if they do not return to the classrooms, lecturers are not the only ones in the employ of the Federal Government to be causing this kind of headache."

For the ASUU Ibadan Zonal Chairman, Dr Adesola Nasir, government's order for schools to reopen is not the same thing as the academic staff resuming work because the schools were shut down by the management.

"The threat is so primitive in this day and time, especially coming from someone who is from the academic. Rather than worrying how to fill in the over 23,000 short in teaching staff and move the sector forward, government is threatening to sack us.
"We are not bothered by the threat because we are not asking for money for our pockets but for the development of the varsity system. Government keeps complaining that our graduates are not employable yet they don't want to put things in place to make them employable."

VIDEO: Man trapped in air pocket after ship sunk

Videos have emerged of Harrison Okene, the cook who survived for almost three days after his ship sunk without any food and just a few canned drinks.
Watch the video  Here